History of NTHT
Fort Worth , Texas has a grand history as a transportation center in the Southwest U.S.A. commencing with the arrival of the Railroad on July 19, 1876 . An important article regarding Fort Worth 's history is Tom Martin's "Tragedy on Village Creek (Just east of downtown Fort Worth ), The Fate of T & P's ( Texas and Pacific Railways) Engine # 642". Also Fort Worth is the headquarters of one of the largest U.S. Railroads, the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad. In addition, The Texas and Pacific Railways beautiful passenger station in downtown Fort Worth has been restored to its 1920's grandeur .
History of NTHT
North Texas Historic Transportation, Incorporated's beginnings in the afternoon of May 5, 1995, a few hours before a very destructive hailstorm struck downtown Fort Worth during Mayfest. Earlier that afternoon, John Bartosiewicz, then the General Manger for the Fort Worth Transportation Authority, and Blair Lavell, then the Mechanical Superintendent for the Texas State Railroad, who was headquartered in East Texas, traveled to the Eagle Mountain Lake area (northwest of Fort Worth) for the purpose of inspecting two antique interurban trolley cars. They agreed that these two Fort Worth cars (car # 25 built in 1913, and car #411 built in 1919) were worth saving, not only for historical purposes but also to promote the new interurban passenger rail service between Fort Worth and Dallas . This new line was going to be known as the Trinity Railway Express and was scheduled to begin service in 2001.
Unless someone intervened, these cars probably would have been removed from the Eagle Mountain Lake property and destroyed. The Fort Worth Transportation Authority, known as "The T", would take ownership of these cars. Volunteers were recruited, the cars were moved to Fort Worth and restoration work began in the fall of 1995. A federal historical grant was obtained, which helped offset the restoration costs.
During 1996, as restoration work continued on cars #25 and #411, two smaller Fort Worth streetcars, #557 and #560, were discovered in the town of Andrews in west Texas . Both were built for, owned and operated as streetcars by the Northern Texas Traction Company. Volunteers, working on cars #25 and # 411 raised money to buy car #560 which was built in 1920.
North Texas Historic Transportation, Incorporated, (NTHT, Inc.) was created on April 27, 1998 as a Texas non-profit corporation, specifically to own car #560. At the same time, NTHT, Inc. obtained an exemption for federal corporate income tax under IRS code section #501 (a). The IRS awarded a 501 (c) 3 organizational designation to NTHT. This enabled NTHT to apply for grants from foundations, corporations and other sources.
NTHT was formed for the purpose of helping to preserve the North Texas area's transportation history. It is a wholly volunteer organization. Article four of its Texas Articles of Incorporation creates its future in stating; "NTHT, Inc. is organized to promote and further the general public knowledge and appreciation of transportation.by acquiring, preserving, restoring and displaying historic examples of such transportation."
Our efforts are not only limited to acquiring and restoring streetcars and interurban electric trains (cars #25 and # 411, known as the Crimson Limited). The broadly worded "historic transportation" allows us to accept all forms of historic transportation. The early concentration on restoring antique streetcars and the interurban electric trains was a matter of opportunity and a good place to start. We have subsequently purchased some of the cars from the Tandy Subway when it closed, and also a Stone and Webster standard streetcar, thanks to a City of Forth Worth Code Official 's efforts.